Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Roberson, Part 2

I wish I had something original or insightful to say about City Eclogue, but I honestly just don't get it. In class, hearing from the class is helpful, and I always begin to think that I will start to think in a similar analytical or innovative way that some of my classmates do.

One of the poems that grabbed me was "Simple As One Two" (105-6) because the title suggested that it would be simple. It's not. Of course. I thought that because sections "1" and "i" don't necessarily fit well together, maybe "1" & "2" and "i" & "ii" would fit. Okay, I should say that when I say "fit," I mean "make sense," which means that I can understand exactly what is being said exactly the way it is written. I should know by now not to expect that from poetry.

I thought "ii" was awesome.

"the glass flash and the metal
         sharp edge as you is
a paper cut but deeper"

Doesn't that just make you feel something? Pain mostly. Paper cuts are the worst thing that can happen to a person, second only to Memorial Day parade blisters in your cute new shoes.

"ii" used a different positioning technique, too. Rather than basically tabbing each line in one further, like parts "1" and  "i" and "Painting From Science for Hui Ka-Kwong" (and all sorts of other poems), "ii" makes that angle come on the right. I prefer this. It looks beautiful. This section is different from the others, so it isn't surprising that is arranged differently too.

The only poem with a period in the title is "Point." That's fitting, right? Put a point at the end of the word point.

1 comment:

  1. I think you do 'get it' but that happens in different ways in poetry... well done, nice way to focus in on what interests you. Well said and great response poem.

    ReplyDelete